Frequently Asked Questions

How can I contact the Municipal Office?

Clerk’s Office

Monday – Friday 8:30am – 4:30pm
Phone:  (506) 372-3230
Fax:  (506) 372-3225

How can I contact the Department of Infrastructure and Public Works?
Phone:  (506) 372-3243

If you require the assistance of the Department of Infrastructure and Public Works after regular business hours, please leave a message with your name, address, a brief description of the emergency along with your contact number as this line is being monitored by staff.

When is my garbage pick up?

For information on your garbage collection dates, please refer to the website for Eco360, the regional waste management facility located in Berry Mills:

Along with collection schedules, the Eco360 website has information on the three-stream residential collection system (green bags (organics), blue bags (recycleables), and clear bags (regular garbage)), and schedules for special collections (bulk garbage) throughout Salisbury Wards 1, 2, and 4.

Meantime, regular household garbage pick-up within Ward 3 (former Salisbury village limits) takes place every Monday morning and can begin anytime after 5am. Two special pick-ups will take place in Ward 3 each year — in the spring (May 1, 2023) and fall (September 25, 2023). These special pick-ups are for items that would not normally be collected, appliances, furniture, and other large household goods.

Can I address Council at a Council meeting?

All regular Council meetings are open to the public. Anyone wishing to make a presentation or address Council must submit a request in writing to the Clerk one week prior to the meeting with a brief summary of the issue or purpose for your presentation.

All personal information submitted (including but not limited to, your name, your address, your e-mail address, your phone number, your opinion and views, etc.) may form part of meeting agenda and minutes and, therefore, will be made available to members of the public at the meeting through requests and through the website.

Can I get congratulatory messages for special occasions?

Congratulatory messages can be sent to residents who are celebrating milestones. For example, residents celebrating their 80th, 90th or 100th birthday or their 50th, 60th, 65th, or 70th wedding anniversary may receive a card of congratulations from the Mayor & Council. Contact the Municipal Office and tell us about the celebration.

Do the Mayor and Council get paid?

The Mayor receives $31,500 per annum, the Deputy Mayor receives $13,545 per annum, and each Councillor receives $11,970 per annum during their term of office.  Each member of Council shall be reimbursed for expenses, (mileage, meals, and incidentals) while attending meetings or functions on behalf of the Municipality.

Is there any Animal Control?

New Brunswick SPCA will resume 2024 Animal Control duties for Salisbury Ward 3 (old village) for dogs only. All inquiries or complaints concerning dogs should be directed to the NB SPCA by phoning 1-877-722-1522. For information on stray or lost dogs, please visite the NB SPCA Facebook page –

Do I need to purchase a registration tag for my dog?

Yes, every owner of a dog in Ward 3 (former village limits) shall by March 31, each year, register that dog(s) with the Municipal Office. Registration fees are: $10.00 for spayed or neutered dogs or $30.00 for unspayed or unneutered dogs (and a $15.00 penalty will be added to the regular registration fee for tags not bought by March 31st). An official receipt from a licensed veterinarian hospital with the breed, color, name of dog showing on receipt and also the veterinarian hospital tag number is required. NO ONE WILL BE ISSUED A REGISTRATION TAG WITHOUT THE OFFICIAL RECEIPT.

Where can I purchase my dog tag(s)?

Dog tags are available for purchase at the Municipal Office and at Silver Fox Veterinary Medical Centre.

What do I need to purchase my dog tag?

Every owner of a dog(s) over the age of three (3) months, shall have such dog(s) vaccinated against distemper and canine parvovirus and must repeat this process every two (2) years thereafter.

Every owner of a dog(s) over the age of four (4) months, shall have such dog(s) vaccinated against rabies and every three (3) years thereafter.

An official receipt from a licensed veterinarian hospital with the breed, color, name of dog showing on receipt and also the veterinarian hospital tag number is required. NO ONE WILL BE ISSUED A REGISTRATION TAG WITHOUT THE OFFICIAL RECEIPT.

Do I need a building permit?

A building permit is required for all new structures and for the demolition, relocation, alteration or replacement of an existing structure.  This includes renovations, mobile and mini homes, fences, garages, swimming pools, garden sheds, decks or any other structural additions/changes to your property.
For more information please contact Plan 360 (Southeast Regional Service Commission), 1234 Main Street, 2nd Floor, Unit 200, Moncton, NB  E1C 1H7.  T:  506-382-5386 F:  506-382-3651

What causes potholes?

Streets tend to show their age in various ways, the most common sign being a pothole. Typical causes are pavement cracking combined with heavy traffic. Cracks allow water to get under the asphalt, and when the water freezes during winter, it expands to four times its volume creating pressure on the surface. In springtime, when the ices and snow melt, the water seeps out, leaving a hollow hole under the street surface. When vehicles go over these sections, asphalt crumbles, and potholes are born.

How are potholes repaired?

Because asphalt plants don’t open until the end of April, and potholes start forming with the return of milder weather, we apply cold patch asphalt, which fills the potholes until they can be fixed permanently. Once asphalt plants are open, contractors are scheduled to fix potholes more permanently.

Who do I contact regarding Provincial routes?

Salisbury’s Main Street (Route 106), Fredericton Road (Route 112), and River Road (also Route 112) are all Provincially Designated Highways, the ownership and maintenance of which lies with the New Brunswick Department of Transportation and Infrastructure (DTI).

DTI, at the present time, is also continuing to maintain all roads located in the municipality outside the former village limits; that is, the roadways in Wards 1, 2, and 4 (all former local service districts). 

Any complaints or concerns regarding these NB routes and roads located in Wards 1, 2, and 4 must be directed to DTI or to your MLA.

The three MLAs representing the greater Salisbury area are:
– Mike Holland (a portion of Ward 2, all of Ward 3 (former Village limits), and most of Ward 4 (contact information))
– Ross Wetmore (most of Ward 1, a portion of Ward 2, and a small portion of Ward 4 (contact information))
– Sherry Wilson (a portion of Ward 1 (contact information)).
*MLA Map*
*Salisbury Ward Map*

The Department of Transportation and Infrastructure can be reached by phoning 1-833-384-4111 (dispatch line) or by emailing

Can I have a garbage bin for the end of my driveway?

Salisbury does not currently have a By-Law prohibiting the use of “rural style” garbage bins. The municipality is not responsible for any damage to unauthorized structures which have been erected by property owners within the public right-of-way.

This is not to say that the Local Government does not make every possible attempt to avoid such structures during any roadway maintenance activity. The Municipality, as well as our winter maintenance contractor, makes every reasonable attempt to avoid damaging or disturbing rural mail boxes, civic address numbers, and roadside garbage bins; however, the primary focus of snow-clearing operations is to make public roads passable in order to reestablish safe travel to motor vehicles. Should damage occur to any of these structures, the Municipality assumes no responsibility.

With respect to any obstruction within the public right-of-way of Municipal and/or Provincial roads (i.e. rural mailboxes, garbage bins, basketball nets, etc.) they would be subject to the following sections under the New Brunswick Highway Act:

44.1(15)    If a person has erected or placed or is erecting or placing any object or thing on, over, under, across or along a highway, has repaired or maintained or is repairing or maintaining such an object or thing, has excavated, mined or quarried or is excavating, mining or quarrying under, across, through or along a highway or has used or is otherwise using a highway, in contravention of subsection (12) or (13), the Minister may by order direct that any such object or thing be disassembled, demolished, modified, relocated or removed and that the highway and the land on, over or under which the highway is situated be restored to its original condition or to such other condition as the Minister directs.

69(1)    A person commits an offence who

(a)     erects, places, puts or maintains any building, structure, gasoline pump, lumber, logs, stones, refuse, snow or other encumbrance or obstruction over or upon any highway,

It is the Municipality’s opinion that “private garbage bins are not essential to the collection of blue and green streams of waste and that any property owner who wishes to erect such a structure, either within or in close proximity to the Municipal or Provincial right-of-way, does so at their own risk.”