The Town of Salisbury (formerly the Village of Salisbury) is currently seeking a Skilled Labourer to join the Town’s Department of Infrastructure and Public Works. This is a full-time, permanent position that reports to the Manager, Infrastructure and Public Works.
APPLYING FOR THIS POSITION:
Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline to apply for this position is Sunday, January 15, 2023 at 11:59PM. Applicants are encouraged to apply electronically, but can drop-off applications to the Municipal Office (56 Douglas Street, Salisbury, NB). No applications will be accepted after the closing date.
While the Municipality thanks all applicants for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The Town of Salisbury is an equal opportunity employer. Should you desire accessibility measures during the recruitment process, please identify them when submitting your candidacy to the Municipality.
The Skilled Labourer provides support with the day-to-day operations of the Infrastructure and Public Works Department (“IPWD”). Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Embody the local government’s values and leads by example to create and sustain an organizational culture where everyone is safe, valued, and respected;
- Operates equipment and tools in a safe and efficient manner according to all relevant legislation, policies and procedures;
- Assists with the operation and maintenance of the wastewater treatment plant and collection system;
- Assists with snow removal from sidewalks, parking lots, trails, and access roads;
- Cleans equipment and tools as scheduled and/or required;
- Collects waste from grounds and receptacles and ensures proper waste management procedures are carried out;
- Maintains and performs minor repairs on equipment, buildings, facilities, and infrastructure;
- Maintains the overall condition and appearance of buildings and grounds;
- Operates and maintains basic hand tools (including saws, shovels, rakes), small equipment (such as tractors and pick-up trucks), and basic power tools (including lawn mowers, power saws, brush cutters);
- Assists with setup and cleanup at community events when needed;
- In the event of an emergency, assists the Town Administration Staff as required;
- Maintains effective working relationships with coworkers;
- Performs all other duties as required.
- This is a physical labour-intensive position that required constant use of hands, working in confined spaces, lifting of equipment and supplies, use of equipment and machinery, long hours outdoors and standing, and long hours sitting when using certain equipment;
- Work in challenging conditions such as snow storms and hot weather is required;
- This position is Monday to Friday and is based on 40 hours per week. Depending on the demands on the Department, hours outside of the regular schedule may be required;
- The position is based out of the Municipal Office located at 56 Douglas Street, Salisbury.
The successful candidate will position the following:
- Education: high-school diploma, with additional post-secondary education considered an asset;
- Experience: 5+ years in a maintenance role;
- Special requirements: the successful candidate must be able to provide a satisfactory criminal record check, must possess a valid Class 5 New Brunswick Driver’s License, and must be eligible to work in New Brunswick;
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff, elected officials and the public;
- Ability to read, write, and understand English;
- Ability to represent the village in a professional, courteous, and efficient manner;
- Ability to prioritize village needs and to coordinate operations and services;
- Ability to handle public contact with friendliness, responsiveness, and tact;
- Must be detail oriented, adaptable, flexible and a quick learner.
The Town of Salisbury offers a competitive overall compensation package. The following are amongst the overall compensation package for the successful candidate:
- Hourly wage of approximately $18.00, depending on education and experience;
- Overtime wage of 1.5x the hourly wage for any hours worked in excess of the standard hours of work;
- Paid vacation time;
- 13 paid holidays throughout the year;
- Employee/employer cost-shared extended health and dental benefits (optional);
- Employee contributions to the Municipal Employee Pension Plan (MEPP);
- The opportunity to contribute to a growing municipality with a motivated team of colleagues across the Municipality.