This June, we want to be named Canada’s Most Active Community, but we will need YOUR help!
In 2022, Salisbury was named New Brunswick’s Most Active Community, but this year, we have our eyes set on the $100,000 national grand prize!
Have you downloaded the ParticipACTION app yet? Once you do, you can register for an account using a Salisbury postal code. When in doubt, you can use the postal code for Town Hall: E4J 3E3.
Looking for FREE activities during the month of June to get moving or try something new? HERE is the schedule of programming for ParticipACTION, and visit our Facebook page for more information on getting involved! There are events nearly daily, ranging from kayak excursions, Zumba classes, spikeball, ball hockey, and pickleball tournaments, walking groups, and more!
Throughout the month, stay tuned to the Town’s Facebook Page for more information and updates on the activities planned.
I am a business or community organization and I want to get involved. How can I help?
One of the main things that needs to be improved over the 2022 efforts in Salisbury is the participation of community groups and organizations. We need you to track your minutes as an organization to show ParticipACTION how many partners are working towards the same goal in our community!
Groups such as schools, sport groups, families, or workplaces can register on the website and track group activities like exercise classes, practices, and events. Every minute tracked will go towards Salisbury’s goal.
You can register to track your minutes starting June 1 on the website here: https://www.participaction.com/programs/community-challenge/
Note: you are not using the app as an individual.
How do I download the app and register for the challenge?
The ParticipACTION app can be downloaded on the Apple App Store or Google Play Store. There is a video walk-through of downloading the app and registering for an account on the Town’s Facebook Page.
Once you download the app, select “Register” and select the method you would like to use to create your account (with an email or with an Apple, Google, or Facebook account). You will receive an email to confirm your account if you choose to register via email.
- Once you create your account, you will put information into the app (name, goal for weekly activity, birthday, etc.). Make sure that the postal code you entered is your Salisbury postal code. If you are unsure, you can use Town Hall’s postal code: E4J 3E3.
- You will then also have the option of connecting a fitness tracker (Apple Watch, Fitbit, etc.) if you have one, which will automatically track your minutes.
- Make sure you select “Yes, I am in” to allow notifications to give you updates throughout the month of June from ParticipACTION.
- Once you arrive on the homescreen, you will see an option promoting the Community Challenge. Make sure you select “Join”, and you will then be tracking towards Salisbury’s goal.
I downloaded the app in 2022. Do I need to do anything else?
Make sure your app is still downloaded and your postal code is a Salisbury postal code. When you open the app, select “Join” on the community challenge icon on the homepage. Then, you are all set!
How do I track minutes in the app?
Once you download the app, you can enter all of your physical activity minutes manually. Select the white circle icon with the purple shoe in the bottom right corner of the screen. Select the activity that you did, enter the amount of minutes, and hit “submit”. It’s that easy!
Do I need to download the app to participate?
No, you don’t. But the more people who track their minutes on their own, the better it shows ParticipACTION how many people are participating in the challenge. If you are not able or comfortable tracking minutes on the app, here are two options:
- Keep track of all of your minutes and physical activity. Phone the Town Office at 506-372-3230 or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will enter them on your behalf!
- Enter your minutes on the website without needing to download the app (note: this option is not available until June): https://www.participaction.com/programs/community-challenge/
What did the Town do with the 2022 prize money of $15,000?
In 2022, the Town was named New Brunswick’s Most Active Community as part of this challenge and won a $15,000 prize.
In June, the Town is launching a survey to poll residents on what they want these funds to be used for with the hopes of getting people involved in the 2023 challenge and imagining what $115,000 could go towards instead! The survey will be posted on the Town’s Facebook Page in June.
The project the funds will be used on must be decided by September 2023 and spent by next year, September 2024.
Who do I contact for additional information?
For more information on the challenge, or to register for any activities, please email the Town’s Recreation & Wellness Department at: email@example.com.