Salisbury 250

The Town of Salisbury is welcoming the new year with open arms and excitement as we plan our celebrations for the Salisbury 250 campaign!

The 2024 year will mark a significant milestone for the Salisbury region: 250 years since the area was permanently settled.

Over the course of the next year, each month will be filled with themed events, celebrations, history, heritage, and more!

The Salisbury area has a lot of history that deserves to be celebrated; from the booming Silver Fox industry and several local businesses to the importance of the Railway Station and the Petitcodiac River. With each of these elements and more, we have a lot to cover during the year. As a result, the Salisbury 250 Committee has decided to divide the year up into 12 central themes – each one corresponding to a month of the year.

June – Sports & Education

In the exciting time of graduation season, we celebrate the successes of our students as they look toward their futures. Through these celebrations, let’s take a moment to reflect on the past, learning about the educational history within Salisbury and how we’ve gotten to where we are today.

Starting with smaller schoolhouses across Westmorland County and Albert County, the construction of the first school was an important milestone. After the schoolhouse on Fredericton Road burned down around 1904, a new school was built around 1905 by a Salisbury resident, Lou Wright. Salisbury Superior School was, and still is, affectionately referred to as “the Blue School.” This building is still standing, and currently houses the Boys and Girls Club of Salisbury. Then came the construction of Salisbury Regional High School in 1947 (currently Salisbury Elementary School), and finally the opening of JMA Armstrong High School approximately 40 years ago (with it and the attached Salisbury Middle School having since been consolidated as Salisbury Regional School).

We also know that June is the month to get active, as we work toward reclaiming our crown as Canada’s Most Active Community! Did you know that Salisbury has been involved in ParticipACTION since the 1990s?

Sports have always been a highlight of Salisbury’s culture and many residents take pride in their athletics. Salisbury has shaped and continues to foster an environment that promotes well-known athletes both within our community and those who continue to grow outside of it.

So, as we congratulate the grads of 2024 and work toward keeping our title of Canada’s Most Active Community, let’s remember that these traditions are rooted in our history. Take pride in these accomplishments, Salisbury!

(Pictured below: Salisbury Elementary School, taken approx. in the late 1970s – early 1980s)

Salisbury 250 Banners to be Unveiled!

NEWS RELEASE (June 21, 2024)

Click HERE to submit photos and/or write-ups for subjects not currently highlighted on a banner that could be featured in upcoming Salisbury 250 programming.

A Different Theme Each Month!

January - Silver Foxes

As part of the Town of Salisbury’s 250 celebrations, the Salisbury 250 Committee appointed the month of January to focus on the silver fox and the fox farming industry.

On January 16, 2024, at Salisbury Regional School, committee member Connie Colpitts gave a presentation on the history of the silver fox industry and its impact on the Salisbury area.

Here is a link to the presentation:

LINK: “WHEN SILVER WAS GOLD”

February - Transportation

As part of our Salisbury 250 programming, the 250 Committee dedicated the month of February to Transportation.

Throughout history, Salisbury has always been a centrepoint of transportation in New Brunswick. From travelling by canoe on the Petitcodiac River, to hopping on a train at the Railway Station, to driving a car down Main Street, its evolution is fascinating to learn about. Salisbury’s geographical location has always useful for several methods of transportation, with these features being some of the main reasons for early settlers – the most prevalent being the Petitcodiac River.

As we’ve evolved with time, so have our methods of transportation. Over the course of the next month, we will be learning about some of the earliest methods, and how we’ve gotten to where we are today.

Transportation Expo!

The Salisbury 250 Transportation Expo took place on February 17 at the Salisbury Lions Club Pancake Breakfast. The expo featured exhibits that demonstrate transportation throughout Salisbury’s history. With help from students at Salisbury Regional School, we had writing, artwork, artifacts, models, and more on display! Thank you to the Lions Club for allowing us the space.

TRANSPORTATION EXPO PHOTO GALLERY:

Salisbury – A Crossroads Town

Written by Jonathan Crosby, Salisbury 250 Committee member, with information from the late George Taylor’s History of Salisbury. “Fondly remembered.”

I like to think of Salisbury as a crossroads town.

The old Village is, of course, at the head of tide on the Petitcodiac River. As we know, the River drains into the Bay of Fundy, which has the highest tides in the world, so this is no small thing. The Coverdale River (referred to locally as Little River) and the Pollett River (just a bit upstream) join the Petitcodiac.

In times before roads existed, the rivers were how people travelled… CONTINUE READING

Airplane Built in Salisbury!

The first and only airplane built in Salisbury was built on Veterans Ave. in the basement of Mr. Art Robinson. He began his project in 1969 and it was ready for take-off in 1972…  CONTINUE READING

March - Organizations and Businesses

Like many communities, Salisbury has seen the shift in the small business market over the years. From being the heart of a booming fox fur industry, to local entrepreneurs starting their small businesses, Salisbury has almost seen it all! Although we’ve watched the business community flow and flourish over the years, there are some who have deep roots in Salisbury and have impacted the way we operate today.

In addition to these long-standing entrepreneurial spirits, there are many organizations found within Salisbury that have contributed significantly to the development of the community. With youth programs, volunteer organizations, and established institutions, a helping hand has never been too far away.

During the month of March, we explored the local entrepreneurs found within Salisbury, learned about the evolution of our business centre, discovered more about our organizations, and provided residents an opportunity to support local.

Tour the Town!

In March, through our “Tour the Town” Passport campaign, we explored local entrepreneurs found within Salisbury. We learned about the evolution of our business centre, discovered more about our organizations, and provided residents an opportunity to support local. Free passports guided your tour around the Town of Salisbury, earning stamps at each participating location (and a fully-stamped passport at the conclusion of the promotion entered you into a draw for free Salisbury 250 merch!). The passport included each participating business/organization, the history of their business/organization, and the history of their building.

Antique Mall
The Blue School
Royal Canadian Legion Salisbury Br. 31
Salisbury Fire Rescue
Salisbury Lions Club
Salisbury Pharmacy
Sew Clever

* This event was an opt-in event, sent to the business distribution list. If you wish to register your business for the distribution list, please email Katy at katydoucette@salisburynb.ca *

Non-profit organizations are an important part of any community. As Salisbury 250 celebrates businesses and organizations during the month of March, a highlight should be placed on the local Air Cadet Squadron in Salisbury. The squadron became chartered on December 3, 1953. Its founding members were Arthur Robinson, with the instructors being Trueman Wilson and JMA Armstrong. JMA Armstrong had formed an Air Cadet squadron in Newcastle, NB and when he became the principal of Salisbury Regional High School, he encouraged the formation of an Air Cadet Squadron in Salisbury. Under his guidance, Arthur Robinson went through the steps to make it a reality. The cadet program is a youth program designed to foster skills and self confidence in today’s youth, while providing an opportunity to engage in varied and unique experiences. Developing competencies in leadership, citizenship, and physical and mental fitness, the cadet program strives to encourage a well-balanced lifestyle. The name was changed to honour Air Marshal Hugh Campbell, who originated from Salisbury. Its official title remains 580 A/M Hugh Campbell RCACS. In 2023, 580 A/M Hugh Campbell Air Cadet Squadron was awarded the Organization of the Year award at the Town of Salisbury’s first annual Volunteer Banquet. Pictured above is the 580 Air Cadet Squadron attending summer camp at CFB Greenwood, Nova Scotia. This picture was taken during the summer of 1954.

Sam’s Auto repair, owned and operated by Sam Harper, could be found on the corner of Douglas Street and Main Street in Salisbury. Following his high school graduation in Petitcodiac, Sam went on to continue his education at New Brunswick Community College. He earned his diploma in 1964 and started working at Moncton Chrysler Dodge until 1974. During this time, be obtained his Red Seal as a mechanic (1967). In 1974, Sam was asked by Fina to run the service station in Salisbury (pictured above), eventually leading Sam to purchasing the building in 1976. He did extensive renovations to the building, adding a third service bay in 1979 and a new office area in the 1980s. The name was changed to Sam’s Auto Repair in 1981 when Petro Canada bought out Fina. Sam’s Auto Repair closed in February 1991. Sam continues to help people with automotive troubles to this day, in addition to building performance racing engines as he has done since 1977.

The Town of Salisbury learned a lot about local businesses and organizations through our Passport event, but what about the businesses of the past that could not be included? Pictured above are some of the local businesses that were photographed from 1960-1985, one of which being the building of the Grill. Let’s dive deeper into its history… At one time, this location used to be Hop’s Store. Situated on the corner of Main Street and River Road, Hop’s Store was owned by Asher Hopper. This building was moved to another location on the Post Road (Main Street), until it made a final move to be placed along Horsman Street (previously known as Front Street). It was then that another building was built at the corner of River Road by Harry McCrae. This building would become known as the Grill. At some point, the business became Milton’s Grill and was thought to possibly have a link to Milton’s Grill that was found on Foundry Street in Moncton, across from T. Eaton Company; however, this has not been verified. For some time, the Grill was run by Tom and Inez Glenn until it was purchased in 1967 by Ronald and Linda Steeves. In chatting with Ron, he recounted that Inez told him that the propane kitchen stove was originally from the Saint John General Hospital. Ron also mentioned that the Grill was a Bus Stop for the SMT Bus Line so many times that they would have packages and freight ordered by clients to leave there. One time, the driver started banging and crashing as he was bringing large items into the restaurant. It turned out to be mufflers, tail pipes, and other items ordered by Trites Garage! Over the years, there were many Salisbury residents employed at the Grill as waitresses and cooks. In May 1977, they sold the restaurant to Ken Nicholson. Shortly thereafter, a fire burned the interior of the Grill and was considered too much damage to restore or rebuild. The building was purchased by the Department of Transportation and was torn down to straighten out River Road. The Village received permission to erect a sign and place the benches and flowers that we see there today.

(Written by Gordon Close, a Salisbury 250 Committee member.)

April - Agriculture

As we moved out of March and wrapped up conversations on local businesses, it was an easy transition to start touching on one of the largest industries that has impacted our local economy. Throughout our history, agriculture has been – and continues to be – a large part of our identity. Once being the main source of income and a way of life, the agricultural industry has taken life in Salisbury with many families being linked to the industry and its impact.

As we learned in January, Salisbury had several fox farms scattered across the area and we were well known for that industry on its own. However, fox farms weren’t the only farms to exist. Agriculture in Salisbury area prior to World War II (1939-1945) provided a large part of the economy to the local region. Many families were raised on farms, and they supplied employment for a lot of people. Most farms were mixed farms with some dairy cattle, beef cattle, pigs and chickens, in addition to many fox farms. As markets evolved such as milk processing plants, meat processing plants for beef, pork and chicken in Moncton, farms began specializing in individual commodities to supply these markets.

Throughout the month of April, we explored the importance of these farms, discovered more about the lifestyle, and learned about the evolution of various instruments used in the industry.

Touch-a-Tractor!

With the help of local farmers and businesses, the Salisbury 250 Committee hosted a Touch-a-Tractor event on Saturday, April 13th.

A variety of equipment was on display, offering an opportunity to gain a better understanding of the agriculture industry, which is a huge part of Salisbury’s identity.

Enjoy our photo gallery from the event:

Agriculture History in the Salisbury Region

By Reginald Lewis

Agriculture in Salisbury area prior to World War II (1939-1945) provided a large part of the economy to the local region. A great deal of families were raised on farms and supplied employment for a lot of people.

Most farm were mixed farms with some dairy cattle, beef cattle, pigs, chickens as well as many fox farms…  CONTINUE READING

 


(Credit to:  NB Maple Syrup Association and Debora Carr, Connecting Albert County, Culture and Heritage.)

The following was written by Connie Colpitts, a Salisbury 250 Committee member:

New Brunswick has a long history of commercial maple syrup production. Today, it is the third largest producer of maple syrup in the world with an annual production of over 3 million kilograms…
CONTINUE READING

 


The original farm before the fire of 1933 with fox pens.

The History of the Tingley Farm

By Marlene Hickman

This history of the Tingley Farm on Colpitts Road, Colpitts Settlement, is based on stories collected from Jim Tingley, told to and recorded by his daugher Marlene in the 1990s. It is difficult to tell the story of a farm without also telling the story of the farmer who dedicated his life to it. So this is a story of the man and the farm…
CONTINUE READING


An aerial photo of the farm in 1979: the new house with remnants of orchard and additional barns, silo, and outbuildings.

 

Turnip Farming, Past and Present, with Darien Ingraham

School became so frustrating for Dad that he finally quit at 14. He lived in Nixon, on MacCallum Road, with his maternal grandparents. If he wasn’t going to school, then he needed to work to contribute to the household income. Darien had a few ideas how he was going to now spend his days making money…

CONTINUE READING

May - Families

Whether you live in Salisbury now or grew up here and moved away, many people can call Salisbury home. Generations of families have lived in the area, passing on family homes, businesses, traditions, and more. We are rich with connected heritage and pride ourselves on being a community that feels like home.

From the first group of Yorkshire settlers who arrived here in 1774 (Joshua Geldart, Robert Leaman, William Sinton, Joseph Jaques, John Weldon, John Geldart, William Wilson, James Smiths, Charles and Lewis Smith, William Noddins, and Joseph Ayles), many of these family names are rooted in our history and continue to be a part of Salisbury’s story today. In addition to these names in our history, we’ve welcomed several families to our community and have grown to approximately 7,800 residents.

Of course, family does not have to mean blood-relatives. Chosen family and close loved-ones are also a part of each one of us and make up a family of their own.

During the month of May, join us in celebrating our families. From the first names of the area to the newest additions; from our relatives to chosen families, we have a lot to celebrate.

(Pictured: “The Taylors of North River” estimated to have been taken around the year 1909, Salisbury Archives)

Battle of the Families: Trivia Night!

The Salisbury 250 “Battle of the Families” Trivia Night was a great time! Congratulations to our 1st Place team, the Wise Old Owls! Many thanks to the 11 teams who participated, and to our emcee Stephanie Thorne.

Family Photo Contest!

📸 Take out your cameras and dust off your photo albums! 📸

As Salisbury 250 celebrates Families during the month of May, we want to see your best family photo! For a chance to win a family swag-bag of Salisbury 250 merch, submit your family photo by the end of the month. Whether it be a recent photo, or a childhood favourite, every picture counts!

Email submissions to Katy at katydoucette@salisburynb.ca. The contest runs from now until May 30.

When Silver was Gold: The History of the Silver Fox Industry 

As part of the Town of Salisbury’s 250 celebrations, the Salisbury 250 Committee appointed the month of January to focus on the silver fox and the fox farming industry.

On January 16, 2024, at Salisbury Regional School, committee member Connie Colpitts gave a presentation on the history of the silver fox industry and its impact on the Salisbury area.

Here is a link to the presentation:

LINK: “WHEN SILVER WAS GOLD”

 

 

This project was made possible by the Government of Canada and the Government of New Brunswick.

Thank you to these sponsors for their financial contribution and support with this project.